Subject:Yet another Sax-Zim report, Mar 3-4
From:James P. Mattsson
Date:Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:18:56 +0000

I haven't been able to bird much this winter so brother Donn and I ventured north to Sax-Zim for a couple of half days to relieve acute cabin fever. Overall bird #s were the lowest I've ever seen, but we managed many of the specialties of the area. See below. Highlights: scoped views of a perched adult Goshawk on Stone Lake Rd.; vocalizing pair of Northern Hawk Owls being harassed by ravens at the McDavitt woodpecker site; the easiest Black-backed Woodpeckers we've ever found (and the most Hairy's (!) at the McDavitt site; video of Great-gray Owl watching group of 7 Ruffed Grouse feeding in small willow only 40 m away (thanks S. Schumacher for owl tip); a classic clean and frosty Hoary Redpoll at Little Whiteface Rd feeders.

Trying to figure out how to get the video ( .mov extension) loaded on MOU Gallery.

SPECIES SEEN
From 3/3/2011 to 3/4/2011 26 species

HAWKS, EAGLES AND KITES
Bald Eagle
Northern Goshawk - 2 (adult perhced, imm. in flight)
Rough-legged Hawk - 12
GROUSE, PTARMIGAN, PRAIRIE-CHICKENS
Ruffed Grouse - 8, 7 in one feeding group 40 m from watching Great-gray Owl !)
OWLS
Barred Owl - Hi 65, Aitkin
Great Gray Owl - 1, CR 133
Northern Hawk Owl - 3, Pair at McDavitt woodpecker site, vocal and very active
WOODPECKERS
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Black-backed Woodpecker - 3, McDavitt (male, 2 fem)
CHICKADEES AND TITS
Black-capped Chickadee
Boreal Chickadee - Admiral Rd
NUTHATCHES
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
SHRIKES
Northern Shrike - 3
CROWS AND JAYS
Gray Jay
Blue Jay
Black-billed Magpie - 2
American Crow
Common Raven
STARLINGS
European Starling
FINCHES, SISKINS, CROSSBILLS
Pine Grosbeak
Common Redpoll
Hoary Redpoll - 2, a classic "10" at Abramson feeder (Little Whiteface Rd); a "7" at Morse feeder (Blue Spruce)
Pine Siskin
OLD WORLD SPARROWS
House Sparrow

Jim