Subject:A MOU September Trip
From:Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Mar 2011 20:30:46 -0800

MOU Field Trip to Duluth:  Jaegers, Terns and Gulls on Lake Superior
When:September 24th 2011
Time:  8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Leader: Mike Hendrickson
Where to Meet:  At ParkPoint Recreational Area.
*Park at the large parking lot near the play ground to meet me and hopefully
some assistant leaders.
What to Bring:  Scope, binoculars, guide books, lawn chair, rain suit (in case
of rain), warm jacket, hat and possibly gloves and bring a lunch or snacks.  We
are not going to designate a time for lunch or a place to eat lunch.  Lunch is
on your time.  There is a Subway in the Canal Park area to grab a quick lunch.

Max. of Birders:  NO limit of birders!!  Every MOU member is invited to come and
spend the day on the beaches of Lake Superior.

Cost:  FREE! Just get in your car and meet us for the day in Duluth!

Late September is a excellent month to look for jaegers, terns and gulls on Lake
Superior.  Last year an adult Long-tailed Jaeger was located at Wisconsin Pt. as
well as Parasitic Jaegers and one Pomarine Jaeger that was well documented. Also
several Sabine Gulls were also seen off Minnesota Point and Wisconsin Point last
fall season. Past years Little Gulls have been spotted on Lake Superior along
with Arctic Terns.

We will spend time on Park Point on lawn chairs scanning Lake Superior for
jaegers, terns and gulls but also we will keep an eye out for shorebirds such as
Sanderlings, Golden Plovers, Black-bellied Plovers and possibly a Whimbrel.
Several species of waterfowl will be seen and hopefully we might see some early
Scoters or Long-tailed Ducks flying by us.  This is good time for Red-throated
Loons and the time to start looking for Pacific Loons on Lake Superior.  Above
us many species of raptors will be using the Minnesota Point as a land bridge
into Wisconsin and beyond.  Several species of passerines will be found in the
trees and bushes

Wisconsin Society of Ornithologists will be having their annual Jaeger trip at
Wisconsin Point and we will be in communication with the leaders to see if they
are getting jaegers off Gull Bluff or spotted some odd gull or Arctic Tern  If
the jaegers are easily seen over at Wisconsin Point vs Park Point we will make
the trip over there to view the jaegers and join them for a bit.  Also while we
are there we can go to the end of Wisconsin Pt to the Superior Entry Way and
scan the waters off the tip of Minnesota Point for birds and also chum the gull
to us and look for a early Thayer’s Gull or a Lesser Black-backed Gull.

I’ll bring several large bags of old bread to use as chum to bring the gulls to
us and hopefully lure the jaegers in.  This is a casual trip with some hiking
and sitting or standing on the beach.  We will hike around Park Point to look
for passerines in the early morning but mid morning we will devote ourselves to
sit and scan for jaegers, terns and gulls for the rest of the day..  Plus loons,
waterfowl, shorebirds and raptors are to be found on the beach.  If birders want
to be with us in the morning hours and then head up to Hawk Ridge for the
afternoon flight that is perfectly ok with me!

I’ll share some identification tips on gulls, terns and jaegers plus other birds
we see through the day.  So if you want to spend a nice fall day on the shores
of Lake Superior and scan for some interesting birds… please join me.

KEEP THIS POST AND PRINT IT OUT AND STICK IT ON YOUR CALENDAR OR REFRIGERATOR TO
REMIND YOU THAT THERE IS A FREE BIRDING TRIP IN DULUTH.

Of course I'll make a few more reminders as the time gets closer -- lets enjoy
spring and summer first.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://www.mikehendricksonbirding.com