Subject:Re: Names for migratory bird habitat
From:Stevan Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:00:45 -0600

Douglas:

Some of your questions are answered at http://web4.audubon.org/bird/iba/

Although someone told me that nesting was the crucial criterion for IBA
designation, when I glanced through http://web4.audubon.org/bird/iba/ I
didn't see that to be true.  As our neotropical migrants only spend a small
portion of the year in their nesting area, habitat, preserving only nesting
habitat would have to be short sighted.  The problem with that site was that
after reading through it I wasn't sure just the exact criteria are.  On that
note I will forward this thread to someone in National Audubon Society who
deals with this sort of thing for her comments.

Later!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins
San Antonio TX