Subject:Common Redpolls Stearns Co
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:24:14 -0800

We've been having daily visits by common redpolls for the last month.  Anywhere
from 4 to 11 birds at a time.  They LOVE the thistle sock which I have to refill
every 2-3 days.  Lately, more American goldfinches have been visiting as well.
No pine siskins now, although we did have a small flock for a few weeks before
and after Christmas.  Throughout the winter we've been feeding purple finches,
up to 12 birds at a time - both sexes.  Tree sparrow and junco numbers are on
the rise in the last week.  And on Sunday, five wild (?) turkeys flew into the
yard and landed high up in a large cottonwood tree.  They stayed about 1/2 hour
and then moved on.  One tried to land in a smaller birch tree on a branch that
didn't support its weight, and it tumbled to the ground.  After righting itself
and shaking off the snow, it seemed to look around to see if anyone or anything
noticed the accident, then slowly strutted out of the yard.  A second pair of
cardinals showed up one day and our local pair spent hours chasing them around
the yard before they finally drove them out.  Lots of energy spent there!
Always something going on here at the lake, while we wait for spring.

Betsy Beneke
Avon, Stearns Co.