Subject:Int'l Festival of Owls, dinner w/ R. Crossley, photos, and more!
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Mar 2011 00:29:42 -0600

This past weekend I attended the International Festival of Owls in Houston,
MN. It was such a fun time!! I kept a list of all of the raptors heading
down to Houston, and back up to Duluth. On the initial drive down there, I
drove out to Superior, and stayed in Wisconsin for much of the way down
before getting into La Crosse.  I saw 1 Red-tailed Hawk and 2 Bald Eagles on
the drive down.

Over the two days of visiting Houston for the festival, these are the birds
I witnessed in the town-limits while walking around, and the drive
to-and-from the hotel:

Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Bald Eagle - 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Horned Lark - 2
House Finch - 3
American Goldfinch - 3

I just spent this afternoon typing up a blog entry that I think you'll enjoy
:-) It covers some of the fun times (via text and photos) from this past
weekend at the owl festival. Also, there are some cool tidbits about
conservation that might fit your fancy. I entered some of my favorite owl
prints in their owl photo contest, and won the grand prize!! Enjoy the blog:
http://naturallyavian.blogspot.com/2011/03/being-green-at-2011-international.html

My photos aren't labeled or organized yet on the photography website.
They'll be in order sometime soon...
http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/birdfedr/international_festival_of_owls_2011

The other little thing to add, is that last night I attended the Birds and
Beers event in the Twin Cities, and got to have dinner with Richard
Crossley! It was a great time, and he is such a fun guy to talk to! It's
always fun getting to know other birdwatchers.

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

www.pbase.com/birdfedr