Subject:MOU Trips - Updated List, New Trips
From:Pastor Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:57:45 -0600

* Salt Lake Weekend, Saturday April 30th.  Volunteers will lead tours at Salt Lake, Big Stone Refuge and throughout the lakes, wetlands and native prairies of Lac Qui Parle and southern Big Stone counties.  Last year 141 species were recorded.  Meet at 7 AM at the Marietta American Legion, intersection of CR 7 and MN 40, 11 miles west of Madison.  Car caravans will leave between 7:00 and 8:00 AM.  For further details, contact Ken Larson at prairiemarshfarm@comcast.net.  No registration required.

* Wild River State Park, Saturday, May 14th.  The Wild River Audubon Chapter leads walks at the park, welcomes MOU folks to join, Joe Sausen will lead this hike.  Warblers, passerines, water & prairie birds all featured.  Runs from 8:00 AM to noon.  Contact Joe at jcsausen@earthlink.net for more details.

* Sherburne Wildlife Refuge, Saturday, May 14th, 7:15 AM.  Trip is currently full, but we can add another 3 people to our waiting list.  90-120 species possible, warblers, passerines, grassland birds (including nesting Lark Sparrows).  Optional afternoon outing as well.  Contact Al Schirmacher at pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net.

* Watch for information on a June Carlos Avery trip!

* Aitkin County, Saturday, June 11th, 7:15 AM.  Meet at the Rice Lake Refuge parking lot south of McGregor on 65.  This trip will emphasize nesting
passerines (with strong emphasis on warblers), as well as boreal species like Boreal Chickadee, Gray Jay and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.  Trip is
limited to 25 participants.  Contact Al Schirmacher at pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net.  Trip is full, but 5-8 spots available on waiting list.

* Shorebird Workshop, August 5th-7th, Bob Janssen and Doug Buri lead.  Check www.itctel.com/buri/SHOREBIRD for details.

* Mille Lacs County, Saturday August 27th, 7:15 AM.  Meet at the Kathio State Park parking lot (just off 169), sticker required.  We will be attempting to catch the beginnings of fall migration while catching lingering nesters.  Trip is limited to 25 participants.  Contact Al Schirmacher at pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net.  Five spots still available, plus waiting list.

* Duluth Field Trip, Saturday, September 24th, 8:00-4:00.  Meet at Park Point Recreational area parking lot.  We will look for jaegers, Sabine's Gulls, Little Gulls, Arctic Terns, shorebirds, waterfowl, early gulls and loons.  We will also be in communication with Wisconsin Society of Ornithologists' jaeger trip at Wisconsin Point, perhaps join them for a bit.  No limit on participants.  Contact Mike Hendrickson at mlhendrickson@yahoo.com

* Sparrow Workshop, October 7th-9th, Bob Janssen and Doug Buri lead.  Check www.itctel.com/buri/SPARROW for details.

* Loons, Loons and More Loons, Saturday, October 15th, 7:30 AM.  Meet at the Dairy Queen parking lot outside of Onamia (along 169), carpool from there.
We will cover the west (and perhaps north this year) side of Mille Lacs Lake, looking for Common, Red-throated and Pacific Loons, as well as other
interesting birds migrating through.  Trip is limited to 25 participants.  Contact Al Schirmacher at pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net.  Four spots still available, plus waiting list.

* Grand Marais Field Trip, Saturday and Sunday, November 12-13th, 7:30 AM.  Trip is full, but waiting list available.  Bird the North Shore, looking for late migrants and arctic birds like Bohemian Waxwings, winter finches and Snow Buntings.  Watch migrating raptors.  Look for western strays like Townsend Solitaires, Mountain Bluebirds, Varied Thrush and others.  Meet at the 40th Avenue West parking lot in Duluth.  Contact Mike Hendrickson at mlhendrickson@yahoo.com

* Fall Waterfowl Field Trip, Sunday, November 20th, 8:30 AM.  Meet at Nelson County Park at the northern tip of French Island in Onalaska.  We'll head north through Trempeleau to Winona, Wabash, Alma and end at the National Eagle Center.  Chance to work on two state lists!  No limit on participant numbers.  Contact Chris West at Chris.w.birder@gmail.com

Al Schirmacher
MOU Field Trip Chair
Princeton, MN

Also check www.mrvac.org for Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter trip listings, they do an excellent job!