Subject:Merlins, Acacia Cemetery (Mendota Heights)
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:39:41 -0600

The pair of Merlins that nested in Acacia Cemetery last year may have
returned. As of early this afternoon, there were two present. The
first was a very vocal and smaller, presumably male, fly-over, who
headed from the trees on the east border, straight across the middle
of the site. He could be heard calling several times from the west
side, though we were not able to spot him. The female sat silently at
the top of a large elm(?) near the north boundary of the cemetery,
overlooking the bike path on Old Hwy 13 and the river, as she sunned
and preened herself. She seemed unperturbed by the Red-tail circling
and the Bald Eagles above the river, and we were able to enjoy long
looks at her colors and markings.
Linda Whyte