Subject:kestrel, Empire substation (Dakota County)/ a question about Red-tail nests
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:58:30 -0500

At least one kestrel, female, was frequenting the roadside across from
the Empire substation this afternoon---not surprising, given that
there's usually a pair there all summer. This one took off from a
telephone line and headed south to the field.

In our later travels, we checked on a known Red-tail Hawk nest site.
It's on the west side of MN 50, just north of Hampton, and across from
the Sportsman's Club and a landscaping/trucking business with a huge
statue of a boy in yellow shorts. There was indeed a Red-tail in a
field nearby, but the nest is now twice as deep as it ever was, and
looks, in fact, big enough for an eagle! Is anyone familiar with this
nest and its status?

This "hawk-nest-transformed-to-eagle-size'' situation is similar to
something that has apparently happened to a site on Crosby Lake in St.
Paul. I've been thinking an eagle had considered moving in on Crosby,
but it seems Red-tails will sometimes use an existing nest as a base.
Does anyone know how common this behavior is? Maybe I've been mistaken
about the architects/builders of these nests, not giving Red-tails
enough credit for their ambition, or their wisdom in being faithful to
a successful nest-site.

Linda Whyte