Subject:[mou-net] Red-throated Loon - Isanti County
From:Herb Dingmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 May 2011 22:19:41 -0600

At about 7:15 this evening I found a winter-plumaged Red-throated Loon at
the north end of South Stanchfield Lake. This lake is in northwestern Isanti
County off of CR15.

Initially the bird was swimming away from me along the left (east) side of
the lake, so I tried to get a better look from CR15 along that side of the
lake.  After several unsuccessful passes up and down the side of the lake, I
returned to the boat launch and found the loon had done an about-face and
was now closer to the boat launch, allowing me to now get some very good
looks.  The bird was resting with its head tucked into its back when I left
at 8:40, so I expect it may still be there in the morning.

Also present on the lake was an Eared Grebe.

Herb Dingmann
St. Cloud