Subject:[mou-net] Possible Eurasian Collared-Dove-Lake Nokomis, Mpls
From:Diana Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 May 2011 09:53:59 -0600

Yesterday evening at about 8:00 I saw what I'm pretty sure must have been a Eurasian Collared-Dove on the east side of L. Nokomis (closest cross street E 53rd St).

I was walking the pedestrian path and a mid-sized overall light gray bird flew through the park area, alarm/flight calling, zig-zagged through the park trees, and flew off. I watched it for about 100 yards.

I knew immediately this wasn't something I see regularly in Minnesota. The size was like a pigeon but it was definitely not a rock pigeon. The flight call was more reminiscent of a shorebird. The flight was "bat out of hell" erratic sometimes, but strong like a small accipiter.

I took notes, then last night tried to triangulate all my clues: its size, shape, overall coloration, flight style, alarm call, and habitat all match up with Eurasian Collared-Dove.

I re-checked the area early this morning for about 30 minutes but couldn't relocate it.

Just a heads up if anyone lives in the area. It may be frequenting feeders with all the nearby houses.

If anyone sees it, I'd appreciate an email to corroborate my ID.

Thanks

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis