Subject:[mou-net] 9 Ibises and American Avocet, Nicollet County
From:Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 May 2011 17:04:35 -0600

This afternoon Chad Heins and I observed 9 ibises in flight over the
WMA 1 mile north of the town of Nicollet on the east side of Hwy. 111.
Viewed from below it was nearly impossible to discern any color
details on the birds, but in all likelihood these were White-faced
Ibises. The birds never landed while we watched, and eventually flew
west out of side (in the direction of nearby Swan Lake).

We also flushed an American Avocet from the shallow wetland furthest
north; walk the trail east of the gravel parking lot and follow it as
it curves north around the first wetland to the second one on your left.

In the grasses north and west of these ponds were many sparrows,
including a migrant Le Conte's.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County