Subject:Blue Grosbeak Etiquette
From:Drew Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 24 Jul 2011 13:25:57 -0400

I stopped by the Blue Grosbeak location in Dakota County this morning between 8:30 and 9:00 A.M., hoping to witness behavior that would indicate young were present. Three observers were already there. The male was singing from a telephone line, and offering excellent views. Unfortunately, the other observers were parked along the north side of the road, right beside the cedar shrubs where it is suspected the nest might be hidden. I asked them to please move their vehicles, and explained why.

So, I think a reminder is needed in the etiquette department. Please do NOT park along the north side of the road, park along the south side next to the agricultural fields. Give the birds some room to successfully raise their young. Having seen both the male and female, I can attest that the birds show well, but sometimes require more patience. And please use some common sense and have some regard for the birds.

Drew Smith
Eagan, Dakota County