Subject:Least Bittern-Sherburne NWR
From:Paul and JoAnn Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:22:21 -0500

Hi Birders,

I saw a Least Bittern on the Sherburne NWR wildlife drive on Saturday, July 23. It flushed from the cattails nearest the road at the extreme southern end of Big Bluestem Pool (just down the hill from the observation deck), flew across open water with legs dangling, and disappeared into the cattails on the west side of the pool.

Other species:

Sedge Wrens--several--stop at curve just past prairie trail--low area north of road--easy to hear, hard to spot

Trumpeter Swans--one pair w/4 cygnets on far west side of Nelson Pool, one pair w/2 smaller cygnets on east side of School House Pool

Sparrows--
	Eastern Towhee
	Chipping
	Clay Colored
	Field
	Vesper
	Lark
	Grasshopper
	Song
	Swamp

Other usual suspects (some from my yard) for a total of 64

Good Birding,

Paul Gunderson
Big Lake Township
Sherburne County