Subject:Hummers
From:john c. nelson
Date:Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:49:17 -0500

At our house the hummingbird numbers are higher than ever before at
this point in the season. Normal in the past would be pehaps two males
and two or three females.
A month ago this summer I   was able to count three males at a time
and six females. This morning at 7 am there were too many to count. I
would assume a first hatch is present and hopefully
more to come.
At my my job talking with seveal hundred folks over the past week,
comments on hummers are pretty much the same as in past years. One
person has more than ever,
the next has fewer. While hardly scientific and not claiming to be any
sort of authority, I suggest the following:
How many nested near you last year?
How many females fledged two broods successfully?
How many of the fledglings survived the summer?
How many of those migrated to the Gulf, crossed the Gulf, and then
returned to your home this spring?
My two females last year could have produced four young each and those
ten birds could have all come back this spring.
What are the odds?

John Nelson
Good Thunder MN