Subject:Evening grosbeaks + Hummers Koochiching county
From:Tom Crumpton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:04:07 -0500

>Numbers of humingbirds up north appear normal.  I'm feeding 15+,
They're just really hard to count in numbers.  Have 1 neighbor
reporting 40+.  Numbers and activity levels jumped with the cold
spell last w/e.

My non-scientific observation or speculation is that the numbers tend
to be lower at the feeders while the adults are feeding insects to
the young.  I expect they will go through a pound of sugar a day till
mid August.

Had a bird of the year that kept turning (and hanging) upside down at
the feeder perch on sunday.  Straightened it up once and picked it up
off the deck once and replaced it at the feeder perch.

Also evening grosbeaks have been back in larger numbers since mid
July.

Tom Crumpton