Subject:banded birds - odd question
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:01:13 -0700

Is anyone out there banding songbirds with an orange colored band on one leg, and FWS band on the other?  Odd question, I know.

A woman found a dead bird in her Princeton yard, put it in a plastic bag, and her husband dropped it off outside our Sherburne Refuge HQ front door on Sunday evening.  We're assuming some kind of critter found the bag during the night and drug it off to eat the bird.  We looked around the yard and only found 4 feathers together in one spot.  One of our gardeners said she found a bag with some bird remains in it on Monday, but she threw the bag out.  So all I have are 4 dark feathers that look like primaries - leading edge is definitely black, trailing edge is gray/brown.  In talking to the woman, she said the bird was black with a white belly.  No stripes, no mottling, just black and white.  Smaller than a robin, larger than a wren.  It was NOT a pigeon, she says.

So, unless we can find some "remains" that include legs and bands in our yard somewhere, I don't know what the bird might be.  I'm just throwing this out for any comments.

I sure prefer mysteries that I can solve more easily than this one!

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR