Subject:Hennepin Co Purgatory Recreation area field trip report
From:Anne Hanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:33:58 -0500

MRVAC field trip report.
At the Eden Prairie city park Purgatory Creek Recreation area last evening, we had a nice, bird-filled walk despite the warm, humid conditions:
At and in the lake, we saw osprey's and bald eagles fishing successfully, several double crested cormorants, young or eclipse wood ducks, at least 3 great egrets and at least 4 great blue herons and a couple of green herons.  The water appears too high for shorebirds and terns at the moment.

 We also saw at least one swamp sparrow, several common yellowthroats and several sedge wrens (one in the scope).  Song sparrows and redwinged blackbirds were numerous. There were some flycatchers seen - much spirited discussion about which species they were.