Subject:MOU booth at the State Fair-we need YOU!
From:[log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:30:49 -0400

Greetings from the MOU  Education committee-

Happily the state is back to work and we will be having an MOU booth at the state fair again this year. We  are hard at work finalizing the details for this year's booth.  Now we need YOUR help.  Please consider signing up for a shift at the MOU  booth.

This year, the fair runs from August 25 through September  5 (mnstatefair.org).  Two  volunteers will be needed for each of three, 4-hour shifts daily for all 10 days  of the fair.  The shifts are 9:00AM-1:00PM, 1:00-5:00PM and 5:00-9:00PM. The  9:00AM volunteer team will set up  the booth and the 5:00PM volunteer team will return the  booth materials to the DNR building after 9:00 p.m.

Volunteers need only convey their birding  enthusiasm and answer questions about bird species, conservation, etc.  More  details will be sent to you when you sign up for a shift.  A free pass to the  fair is an incentive we can offer, so before or after your 4 hour shift, you  will be able to indulge in this year's "on a stick" specialty and other fair  amenities.

This year, we are continuing to make the booth more attractive to  visitors and easier for the volunteers to work with. We will have the fantastic touch screen computer that will enable you  to pull up the MOU website to show fair-goers the latest bird photos or zero in  on a birding location through Google Earth. The spinning wheel of songbird  identification will be there and we will have small bird stamps or stickers for  our under-12 bird identifiers who take a spin. We will have the “wingspan  measuring display” and the “raptor identification game” donated by a team of master naturalist-birders. We will still have our  field guides on hand, but you are welcome to bring along your favorite guides.  If you have good bird guides/books that you would like to bring and donate to  the MOU booth, please let us know.  We will have our MOU membership brochures and  MOU checklists.

There are TWO easy ways to sign up for a shift.

One  is on the Google Calendar.
1  Go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com)
2.  Click "Sign In" on the top right hand corner of your screen.
3.  Sign in using "mouvolunteer" as your "email" and "ilovemou" as your password
4.  Click the "more" drop down menu item located in the center along the top of your  screen.
5.  Click "Calendar" from the drop down menu.
6.  You will see a calendar centered on today's date.  Scroll through until you get  to August 25th 2011 where you will start to see the MOU booth shifts in red.
7.  Click on the shift that you want to sign up for.  I find that clicking on the  actual word "Shift 1"(or 2 or 3) is the quickest and easiest.
8.  Write your name after "shift 1, 2, or 3", in the "what" box at the top of the  form.
9.  Click "save"
10.  Log out (on top right hand corner of the screen).

OR  simply email Jen or Kate and tell us what shift you  want.

Jen Vieth:  jennifer@carpenternaturecenter.org
 Kate Kelnberger: kkelnberger@boreal.org

**You will need to make sure Kate & Jen have your snail mail address so we can send your state fair passes to you.**

If anyone has suggestions or wants  to take a bigger role in the fair or the committee-we welcome the  help.

Thank you from all of us-

Kate Kelnberger & Jen Vieth
Thomas Maiello & Rich Peet & Bob Holtz