Subject:Hybrid goose, blue grosbeak
From:Jim Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Jul 2011 01:55:31 -0500

Hello, I don't know if this is "postworthy", but we found a hybrid canada goose just off of the south end of Nicollet Island today. I got a decent picture of it that you can see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29349210@N08/5899046783/in/photostream

My girlfriend found the goose walking on the island on Wednesday, and we relocated it today preening on a log snag between the south shore of Nicollet Island and the 3rd Avenue bridge. Park at the pavilion and walk to the south edge of the island.

Our guess is that it's a canada x domestic greylag, but would be curious of the opinions on this list.

We also saw the previously reported blue grosbeak this afternoon about 4pm, both male and female right alongside the road. The male was perching on one of the powerline poles.

Jim