Subject:Park Point Wayfarers
From:Tanya Barcikowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 31 Jul 2011 08:00:10 -0500

Spending the afternoon out there between batches of poison ivy, not seeking out birds at the time, I heard evening grosbeaks cross over at the edge of the sandy blowout where the boardwalk with railings leads into the forest. I was working on art and probably looked up too late to see or take a count. I will always remember their call note because they were so numerous in the 1970s, at least at the far end of Lake Superior. When they passed back the way they had come I did see that there were three. A pin cherry crop is ripening right now and since these cherries were an attraction to flocks of evening grosbeaks in my distant memory it seems believable that this was attracting them now.

Coming back to the car I saw sandpipers pass on the St. Louis Bay strip of beach at close range, foraging. I was able to creep up; it looked like at least three Baird's and a least.

Tanya Beyer
Stationery and fine art from the North American Heartland.