Subject:Sherburne County - Both Cuckoos
From:Peter J. Makousky
Date:Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:03:36 -0500

Hello -

In my attempt to find the Least Bittern at the Sherburne Wildlife Drive, I
was able to find both the Yellow-billed and the Black-billed Cuckoo.

I found the Black-billed Cuckoo first as I was parked down the hill from
Mile Marker #2. On the right side of the road is a plowed area (looks like a
road) with a sign that says "NO VEHICLES." I parked right there. Just past
this point on the right, there is a grouping of aspen trees. I first spotted
the Black-billed Cuckoo there and is slowly approached along the bush line
toward my car.

The Yellow-billed Cuckoo was pure luck as I was driving out of the drive.

Just after coming out of the woods, you come to Stickney Pool. Farther up
the road you can see the Eagle's nest but I was at the other end.

On the left hand side about 20 yards of so after the woods there are a
couple of dead stumps about 12 feet high with some shrubs or bush around

The Yellow-billed Cuckoo was hanging out there in that shrubby area. It was
in plain view.

Nice looks at both birds.

I failed at finding the Least Bittern again.

Pete - aka - Sky the BirdMan

Anoka, MN