Subject:shorebird migration
From:Doug Buri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Jul 2011 12:37:47 -0500

In support of the idea that shorebirding is not just a spring and fall event -- I am finding surprising numbers of species and individuals coming through right now. Most locations are in Eastern South Dakota but I assume that this is an indication of general movement through the Midwest.

Species today:

Least Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Greater Yellowlegs (several dozen in 4-5 locations)
Dowitchers (sp)
Spotted Sandpiper
American Avocet
Wilson's Phalarope (lots - they nest here)
Marbled Godwit (75 seen in one spot)

Lots of water around so it is hit or miss - mostly only one in 10 suitable habitat spots with shorebirds.

Doug Buri
Milbank, South Dakota