Subject:Year of the dickcissel
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Jul 2011 07:20:08 -0700

I counted 5 different singing dickcissels near Sartell, Stearns County over the weekend.  They were all along Pinecone Road between County Roads 133 and 134.  In addition, I heard several birds along county roads in western Stearns County.  I had 3 singing dickcissels along my Sherburne NWR Breeding Bird Survey Route earlier this month.  They really seem to be populating this part of the world this year - I don't remember hearing any last summer.
Now, gotta go look for southbound shorebirds...we had our first observations at Sherburne NWR on July 5th last year!
Betsy Beneke
Stearns & Sherburne Counties