Subject:3 adult Merlins at Acacia cemetery, Dakota Co.
From:James P. Mattsson
Date:Sat, 9 Jul 2011 21:10:43 +0000

Recently, Paul Budde notified me that he may have seen another adult female near the Merlin nest at Acacia. Today (9th), Bob Dunlap and I observed both nesting adults at the nest plus an adult female "taiga" near the nest. Lighting was pretty horrible, but this individual differed from the resident female by being heavily mottled on the mantle. First-year Merlins are known to sometimes aid in the care and feeding of nestlings and I suspect that is what is occurring here.

Also, the male Blue Grosbeak at 140th greeted us as we arrived this morning by standing in road.

Jim Mattsson
Eagan