Subject:Rachel Lilly walk recap
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:15:29 -0500

A half-dozen early risers took advantage of this morning's superb
weather, and enjoyed seeing and/or hearing 44 species at Rachel Lilly
Preserve. It was especially fun to see the recently-fledged of some of
them, with a turkey poult taking shelter in a tree, a family group of
Eastern Kingbirds on the hunt, teed-up Flickers, curious Chickadees,
and rattling House Wrens.

There were numerous fly-overs: Cormorants, Great Blue Herons, and
American Egrets. We startled one of the herons off the pond. Raptors
were a-typically absent; only a probable Cooper's Hawk was on the
wing. The fly-"snatchers" were represented, though: Great-crested,
Alder, E. Phoebe, plus an E. Wood-Pewee.

We were lucky enough to see a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, feeding high in
the canopy, and someone noted hearing an Ovenbird. We noticed the
absence of Redstarts, but Yellow Warblers and Common Yellow-throats
were present and singing, along with Goldfinches, House Finches,
White-breasted Nuthatch, Cardinals, Catbirds, Indigo Buntings, Song
Sparrows, and Clay-colored Sparrows.

Red-eyed were the only Vireos heard, though we may have missed the
Warbling. Robins and E. Bluebirds represented the thrush family, while
Crows and Bluejays spoke for the corvids. We also saw Tree and Barn
Swallows, Cedar Waxwing, Mourning Dove, Cowbirds, Baltimore Oriole,
Red-winged blackbirds, and Hairy and Downy woodpeckers.

My thanks to Roy for carrying his scope, which gave us good views of
an elusive Sedge Wren, and helped to pick out a spotted Sandpiper
among the Kildeer at the pond. Thanks, too, to Kathy and Cindy, for
their knowledge of the flora. Dave, I'm glad you found the entrance
and caught up to us! Larry, thanks for keeping my ears at work, as
always. I look forward to seeing everyone again.
Linda Whyte