Subject:Birding & Documentation (bit long)
From:Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:37:52 -0500

(If someone wishes to forward this to Birdchat, would be appreciated.  For some reason my email address change hasn't taken.)

I am a birder, delighting in color & song.

I am also an occasional writer/poet, tending to write about externals that compare & contrast with internals.

On surface inspection, one would tend to think records documentation would come easily.  Not so.  Have submitted more failures than successes over the years.

It's easy to blame records committees, decided I'm done with such folly.  It's always easier to blame the other than take responsibility; such is a no win, no growth proposition.

It's easy to blame the scientific mindset, even caricaturing the necessary detail-mindedness and repetition.  This too is folly, judging God-given, culturally needed differences just because they are different.

So reality remains.  Consistent birding leads to occasional rarities.  Rarities need to be shared.  Posting alone is not enough.  After avoiding documentation for a period of time, one needs to return, even if it does play to a weakness.

(What, you were expecting a five step solution plan?  Hah!  Still working that out.:))

Al Schirmacher