Subject:Bluebirds in Plymouth
From:Sid Stivland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:22:10 -0500

In May I spotted an Eastern Bluebird in my neighbor’s yard.  Good spot but I did not pay much attention to it since we have very little open Bluebird habitat around here and I assumed it was in transit somewhere else, like Baker Park.  For the last 2 weeks, my neighbor has seen Bluebirds in her yard.  Over the past 3 days, I have seen them in her yard until, today, it crossed the street into my yard, a first for us.  Even more interesting was that it was a juvenile bird being fed by its parent.  So – now I have to look around the area  for next year and see if there is a good nesting site around here.  I guess these birds could have fledged somewhere else and are moving through here.  Also, I have not seen much on the listserve about Bluebirds this year but, this got me wondering;  Did the early cold weather adversely affect Bluebirds, i.e. are they re-nesting?  Did they lose the early young to “cold weather starvation”?  Or is this just a normal or regular brood?  It just seems maybe a tad late in the year.

Sid Stivland
Plymouth, MN