Subject:Re: Bluebirds in Plymouth
From:Liz Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:31:16 -0500

I have a bluebird sitting on 5 eggs now. It's the third brood of the
season. The first was lost to predation when the chicks were 3 days old,
and the second fledged 4 chicks, which the parents are currently feeding.
I did notice that they started almost a month later this year than they
did last year. My neighborhood has a lot of mature trees and probably
wouldn't be considered ideal bluebird habitat, but there must be enough
open area that they find it acceptable. Plus I bribe them with a
continuous supply of mealworms. ;)

> In May I spotted an Eastern Bluebird in my neighbor’s yard.  Good spot
> but I did not pay much attention to it since we have very little open
> Bluebird habitat around here and I assumed it was in transit somewhere
> else, like Baker Park.  For the last 2 weeks, my neighbor has seen
> Bluebirds in her yard.  Over the past 3 days, I have seen them in her yard
> until, today, it crossed the street into my yard, a first for us.  Even
> more interesting was that it was a juvenile bird being fed by its parent.
> So – now I have to look around the area  for next year and see if there
> is a good nesting site around here.  I guess these birds could have
> fledged somewhere else and are moving through here.  Also, I have not seen
> much on the listserve about Bluebirds this year but, this got me
> wondering;  Did the early cold weather adversely affect Bluebirds, i.e.
> are they re-nesting?  Did they lose the early young to “cold weather
> starvation”?  Or is this just a normal or regular brood?  It just seems
> maybe a tad late in the year.
> Sid Stivland
> Plymouth, MN
> ----