CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2011

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:08:46 +0200

On 11.08.2011 19:40, Martin Wessendorf wrote:
> If we assume that English contains 50,000 "common" words that a
> dictionary would need to contain (--I think that would be a conservative
> estimate, since English has a total vocabulary of about 250,000 words
> and capitalizations, proper names, etc would all need to be considered)
> and limit our password to 4 words, we would get 6.3 x 10^18--i.e. almost
> the same.

and then, why should you limit your password to 4 words from just one
language? With 4 different languages plus punctuation and some numbers
which you can easily remember, I would assume it pretty much does
require a brute force attack to get it.

The draw back is: it takes much longer to type it in than a simple word.

Steffen

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum für experimentelle Medizin (WBex)
Head of light microscopy

Mail room:
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 München

Building location: