Subject:[mou-net] Blue Grosbeak--Le Sueur County
From:Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:47:45 -0600

Hey birders,

I was out this afternoon with my sons catching a giant jar of grasshoppers in the Kasota Prairie area.  At our last stop, we pulled up and upon disembarking from the minivan, I heard the distinct song of a Blue Grosbeak.

To get to this location, take CR21 south from Kasota.  Take the first road that goes eastward after you pass the sign for Kasota Prairie.  This might be CR11 or CR147, but neither map in my possession is clear.  It is the first road north of CR101 and it connects CR21 to Hwy 22 to the east.  The bird was singing on the north side of the road at the west end of the quarry area.  There's a stand of trees there that runs in a north/south orientation.  Look and listen there.

Also of note today: Henslow's Sparrow still at Minneopa State Park and some American Redstarts moving through.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato

"But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?" --Job 12:7, 9