Subject:[mou-net] Black-headed Grosbeak - Burnsville
From:Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Aug 2011 01:09:19 -0600

Monday:

A male Black-headed Grosbeak was reportedly seen this morning at a feeder on the 2800 block of Hayes Drive in Burnsville.  The homeowner reported:  I had a strange bird at the feeder today.  It looked like a Grosbeak, but it had a black head.  I couldn't find anything like it in my field guide of Minnesota Birds.  When I showed her the picture of the Black-headed Grosbeak, she confirmed the ID.   Dave Cahlander (who lives about a block away) and I went to the house a little after 7pm and were unable to find it.  However, Marge was wondering if that was the strange bird she saw earlier today.  The feeder is not visible from the street.  I will check with the homeowner to see if she minds birders walking along the fence or if she sees it again.

Driving today in traffic on I-494 near REI, I watched a young Cooper's Hawk weave through the cars and surprise a flock of Starlings.  When I last saw them, the hawk was hovering about four feet above ground and the starlings were lifting off right at him.

Yesterday, I had a Cecropia moth banging on the screen of my porch.  It had a wingspan of four or five inches and flew more like a large bat, fast and straight.  I hoped it would land, but it quickly took off.  A few nights earlier I had a Locust Underwing moth.

Steve Weston on Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2@comcast.net