Subject:[mou-net] Grant Cty Ottawa impoundment - Prairie Falcon
From:Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:11:37 -0600

Try again. I spotted a Prairie Falcon at the North Ottawa Impoundment in Grant Cty along the border with Traverse Cty. I was on the dead end road that enters the middle of the area from the west side. I first saw the bird flying and easily identified it as a falcon  but the bird flew over by me and landed in a dead tree (only one out there). When it landed it was facing me and gave a great view of the black underwing linings.

Also seen have been several imm Black-crowned Night-Herons, a couple of American Avocets, an Eared Grebe and lots of shorebirds (not the quantity or the number of species I was expecting - but fun nonetheless- mostly yellowlegs and peeps).  No Snowy Egret but lots of Great Egrets.

PS - I hate typing with fat fingers.

Sent from Bob Ekblad's iPhone
Byron, MN - Olmsted County