Subject:[mou-net] Whooping cranes
From:jeff fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:19:29 -0600

After two failed attempts earlier this week I was finally able to locate the pair of whooping cranes near Northfield this afternoon. I first found them near the road in a field on the west side of Baldwin just south of 90th around 11 am. They were with the pair of sandhills as reported earlier. They made their way away from me towards the west until they were very difficult to see. A couple other birders showed up and I pointed them out so that they could get their life bird.They stayed on the far side of the field often obstructed by the small hills and trees until about 3pm. At that point they flew off to the wetland area that people had seen them at earlier in the week. They curled up at the back end of the wetlands and stayed that way until I let at around 4:30pm.

Unfortunately there were a lot more clouds then the weather man predicted so the lighting was not good but I did get some shots from my car when they were not too far away in the field. I have posted them on the blog or you can see them here.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LVw7C3FwRjk/TnQTFDeNhTI/AAAAAAAAUzc/TiP8y65pX1g/s1600/MN11%2Bwhooping%2Bcrane%2B120_5989.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2uE_p3gpCzI/TnQTF-3WwGI/AAAAAAAAUzk/lpDZJoHn3jc/s1600/MN11%2Bwhooping%2Bcrane%2B120_5974.jpg

Thanks,
Jeff Fischer