Subject:[mou-net] Parasitic Jaegers & 13,000+ raptors
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Sep 2011 20:32:34 -0600

I visited Wisconsin Point (Superior, WI) this morning, and had the following
sightings...
Blue-winged Teal 2
Bald Eagle 1
Sanderling 5
Bonaparte's Gull 1
Ring-billed Gull 1000
Herring Gull 3
Parasitic Jaeger 2

The Parasitic Jaegers double-teamed a lone Ring-billed Gull, making
impressive swoops and passes at the gull! One of the Parasitic Jaegers is an
adult (light), the other one is a juvenile... most likely the same birds as
seen before. Below are pictures from this morning.

Adult Parasitic Jaeger (light morph):
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138115103

Juvenile Parasitic Jaeger:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138115104
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138115106
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138115107
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138115105

Yesterday's flight at Hawk Ridge (September 15th) was incredible. We had a
total of 13,276 raptors for the day, of which 12,790 were Broad-winged
Hawks!
Below are some shots over the past few days up at the ridge. Enjoy!

Northern Harrier (immature), in-the-hand:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138023919

Gray Ghost (adult male Northern Harrier), in-the-hand:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/137954987

Northern Goshawk, in-the-hand:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138075094

Adult Broad-winged Hawk, in-the-hand:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138053892

Peregrine Falcon, in-the-hand, and looking over shoulder:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138053912
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138053914

Merlin:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138075092

Broad-winged Hawk Kettle (from Sept 15th):
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138094525
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138094526

Cooper's Hawk:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138075088

All three accipiters at one time!!
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/138075095

Don't forget, this weekend is Hawk Weekend at Hawk Ridge! There are many
programs and events going on this weekend, to spread the fun and awareness
about raptor migration. Hope to see you there :-)

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Bird photography and birding tours
www.pbase.com/birdfedr