Subject:[mou-net] Parasitic Jaegers & 13,000+ raptors
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Sep 2011 20:32:34 -0600

I visited Wisconsin Point (Superior, WI) this morning, and had the following
Blue-winged Teal 2
Bald Eagle 1
Sanderling 5
Bonaparte's Gull 1
Ring-billed Gull 1000
Herring Gull 3
Parasitic Jaeger 2

The Parasitic Jaegers double-teamed a lone Ring-billed Gull, making
impressive swoops and passes at the gull! One of the Parasitic Jaegers is an
adult (light), the other one is a juvenile... most likely the same birds as
seen before. Below are pictures from this morning.

Adult Parasitic Jaeger (light morph):

Juvenile Parasitic Jaeger:

Yesterday's flight at Hawk Ridge (September 15th) was incredible. We had a
total of 13,276 raptors for the day, of which 12,790 were Broad-winged
Below are some shots over the past few days up at the ridge. Enjoy!

Northern Harrier (immature), in-the-hand:

Gray Ghost (adult male Northern Harrier), in-the-hand:

Northern Goshawk, in-the-hand:

Adult Broad-winged Hawk, in-the-hand:

Peregrine Falcon, in-the-hand, and looking over shoulder:

Broad-winged Hawk Kettle (from Sept 15th):

Cooper's Hawk:

All three accipiters at one time!!

Don't forget, this weekend is Hawk Weekend at Hawk Ridge! There are many
programs and events going on this weekend, to spread the fun and awareness
about raptor migration. Hope to see you there :-)

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Bird photography and birding tours