Subject:[mou-net] Long-eared Owl in downtown Duluth
From:Jim Lind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:47:30 -0600

My recent post prompted a message from Tanya Beyer, regarding a Long-
eared Owl she saw in downtown Duluth today (10/24/2011):

"This owl crossed my path just after I had headed up from the
lakewalk at about 8:30 a.m. Monday. I had reached the plaza above
Michigan Street and was just past the monument with all the stacked
hands, titled 'The Arising.' The owl, which I guessed to be a great
horned at first, plunged into one of three or four spruces in the
planting behind the monument. So I crept around the wall of the
planting and was soon able to see the grey bulk and the perky tall
horns above the eyes. The owl stayed, turning frequently to look
away, then to look back and make sure the observer was no more of a
threat than before.

This is my second long-eared. In 1977, at the age of 17, I was so
lucky as to scare one up in the pasture behind my childhood home at
the edge of the Indianapolis metro area. We had a lot of thickets and
pines in the overgrown farmland that surrounded us there, and in the
two months that that owl stayed around, floating from one pine grove
to another, it seemed the whole birding community of Indpls. got out
there to view our visitor--including a whole inner city high-school
natural history club."