Subject:possible mall x abdu city of detroit lakes
From:Beau Shroyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Nov 2011 12:30:04 -0600

Saw a flock of mallards in flight along the city beach today.  One bird was noticably larger and darker than the rest.  Two hours later I saw the flock feeding near the boat access.  The large dark individual had a yellow bill and partially green head.  Body was not gray like a male mallard, but rather dark brown.  My assumption is mallard/blackduck cross.  I was unable to stop to observe with binoculars.  When I returned with binoculars 10 minutes later the flock was gone.  The mallards have been in the area of city beach for several weeks.  It seems likely that the individual in question will return.  I will update if I can get a better ID on him.  On a side note , I saw a small flock of wood ducks yeaterday on Lake Detroit.