Subject:Field Sparrow - Hyland Park Reserve
From:Ben Harste <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:01:51 -0600

Sorry I'm a bit late on this since this is from yesterday afternoon, but I
went birding at Hyland Park Reserve for about an hour yesterday afternoon.

The biggest highlight was finding a Field Sparrow that flushed out of the
grass on the southwest edge of Hyland Lake.  I didn't think much of it
other than it being a bit late until eBird flagged it as a rarity in the
month of November and sure enough looking at the MOU database there seems
to be only a few records of Field Sparrows in November and December.
Although I did not have my camera, I have no doubt it was a Field Sparrow,
as it had a very distinct white eye-ring and an obviously pink beak along
with other regular features of a Field Sparrow.  It was flushed up along
with one or two Song Sparrows.

There was also a ton of waterfowl on Hyland Lake, although I could not
identify it all since I didn't have my spotting scope.  They included:
Northern Shovelers - At least 80 all in a very tight circle dabbling
Ring-necked Duck - A few
Ruddy Duck - 3

Lastly, I couldn't confirm but I am pretty sure there are still Rusty
Blackbirds foraging on the south side of the lake on the western half,
fairly visible from the northern and western sides of Hyland Lake.  I have
seen Rusty Blackbirds there once last week (or two weeks ago) as well, so
it seems they are frequenting the lake.

Ben Harste
Bloomington, MN