Subject:Re: plain-tailed wren duet research--- from Science Now
From:Matt Dufort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 9 Nov 2011 08:42:37 -0600

Thanks, Gordon, for forwarding that.  It's an interesting read.
Duetting is actually quite common in other parts of the world,
especially tropical areas.  Africa, Central and South America,
Australia, and other places have lots of species that duet.

Plain-tailed Wrens, which this study focused on, are masters of it.
Something this article didn't mention is that this species sometimes
lives in large cooperative groups, and those groups sing in chorus.
Multiple males singing the male part together, and multiple females
singing the female part together.
Some great examples of this are here: http://www.xeno-canto.org/37014
and here: http://www.xeno-canto.org/184

Compared to the rest of the world, duet singing is unusually uncommon in
the US and Canada.  The only species here that comes to mind is Northern
Cardinal, though I suspect there are others.

Matt Dufort
Minneapolis