Subject:Re: Camera
From:peter schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:00:06 -0800

Anything new that would be good for birding with enough resolut
Hi Al,

Anything new that would be good for birding with enough resolution and lens
power costs too much. I recommend used. I do not think it really matters what brand, I use Nikon but they are expensive, worth it to a pro but
not for the now and then user. I hate to endorse a business as they all
are OK but National Camera might be a place to start for used amateur
gear. I recommend a zoom lens, at least to 300mm. If you get higher than that say a 500mm the lenses need a lot of light and a steady hand, not
always the birding situation. National also offers free classes on how
to use the camera, they have gotten very difficult to use if you are
unfamiliar. Tell them what you want the camera for and go from there. I
think one camera body and just one lens. Then never take it off the
body, that way you avoid dust. I use a 18 to 300 mm macro lens, covers
everything but you may want a longer lens. Although if the camera has
enough resolution you can always zoom in latter to identify the bird (I
use macro for insect ID as well) or post, it  won't be as pretty as the
photos people take with the 1000 ml lenses, tripod and pro cameras but
it may be enough for your needs.

West Photo is who I use for my pro camera supplier. Not sure they carry used amateur cameras but they might, they again have
an outstanding and helpful sales staff. When I purchased my first
digital camera I needed to use it that day on a shoot, I just had them
adjust it to my needs and got a quick primer. It all worked out, always
does with them.

I am reluctant to purchase online, as I like to support my local merchants and also because I need the tech support and customer service they offer.

Does someone on mou-net want to upgrade and then give Al a deal on their older but useful camera?

Good Luck, Peter

Peter Schmidt Photography