Subject:Re: Camera
From:Abrahm Simons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2011 13:05:56 -0600

I agree with pretty much everything that Paul has to say about cameras.
DSLRs are really the best way to go. Fast response time, more control and
more tools (lenses, filters, flash rigs, etc.) at your disposal. It's
really important when you are buying a camera to not look at just the body
and it's specifications but the lens system you are buying into. Buy an
Olympus body and you are going to be using the lens available to that
camera. That's why Nikon and Canon are so popular since they have such a
wide and deep selection of lenses. See what's available in the telephoto or
super telephoto range, what the prices are and read lots of reviews. 300mm
focal length is probably about the absolute minimum you'll want for good
photos.

As Paul mentioned, sensor size is important. Most point and shoots have
small sensors meaning they perform poorly in lower light situations than
larger sensors. Sensor size is more important that mega pixels, sometimes
larger megapixel ratings actually mean poorer pictures as more pixels are
crammed onto the sensor to the detriment of the whole image.

Light is the limiting factor of virtually all photography and with bird
photography you'll want all the light you can get. That's why you'll often
want to get the fastest lens possible (smallest f number.) This lets you
shoot "wide open" and get the most light, at the cost of depth of field.

You'll probably want a tripod as well. Some of the bigger telephotos (even
the smaller ones) can be quite a handful and if you can get a few more
stops of exposure time it could mean the difference between a badly exposed
image and a bright bird in the frame.

And when it comes to photo editing software, if you aren't already used to
Adobe Photoshop might I suggest GIMP, the GNU image manipulation program,
that does everything Photoshop does (well, nearly), but for free.
http://www.gimp.org/

Have you given any thought to digiscoping?

-Abrahm