Subject:Quail
From:Bruce Marzinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:40:08 -0600

There has been a small self-sustaining flock in SE Mn tenaciously
hanging on for many generations. Though I have never personally seen
one myself there. I have spent most of my teens and adult life on the
back-roads of this area in my never ending trout quest. I have had
many conversations with farmers that have emphatically claimed to
have a covey or two on their property and I have no reason to doubt
them. Though their numbers may have been decimated in the recent
devastating winters, there still may be remnant populations. I know I
had reliable conversations with landowners into the early 2000's. I
hunted quail for many years in southern Iowa and even when the
populations were high it was very rare to see them in the open near a
road. It was more common to hear them in the spring when one was
either turkey or mushroom hunting. This could possibly Minnesota's
"Grail" bird.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/julaug07/bobwhite.html  Though
not that recent it may shed some light.