From:Bruce Marzinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:40:08 -0600

There has been a small self-sustaining flock in SE Mn tenaciously
hanging on for many generations. Though I have never personally seen
one myself there. I have spent most of my teens and adult life on the
back-roads of this area in my never ending trout quest. I have had
many conversations with farmers that have emphatically claimed to
have a covey or two on their property and I have no reason to doubt
them. Though their numbers may have been decimated in the recent
devastating winters, there still may be remnant populations. I know I
had reliable conversations with landowners into the early 2000's. I
hunted quail for many years in southern Iowa and even when the
populations were high it was very rare to see them in the open near a
road. It was more common to hear them in the spring when one was
either turkey or mushroom hunting. This could possibly Minnesota's
"Grail" bird.  Though
not that recent it may shed some light.