Subject:Mississippi River Waterfowl + field trip notice
From:Chris West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 12 Nov 2011 00:29:50 -0600

Hey everyone,
I was out on the river south of Lansing, IA yesterday and it looks as
if this last cold front brought all the birds in.
We saw around 2000 Tundra Swans, 50,000 Canvasback, 30,000 Am Coots
and tons of other assorted ducks including Gadwall, Pintail and
Bufflehead. We also saw a whopping 251 Bald Eagles (we kept careful
count. ;) ).

This weekend, at Mississippi Explorer Cruises, we are running our last
weekend of cruises for the year. These are fall migration cruises that
are based out of Lansing, IA. We head south to the open water just
above the dam to view migrating ducks, geese and swans. The views we
get are pretty awesome. They're really up close, much closer than if
you were scoping from shore.

The trips go out of the dock just behind the Riveredge restaurant in
downtown Lansing. Trips on both Sat and Sunday (Nov 12,13) are at 1pm
and last for 3 hours.

Details and more info here:
http://www.mississippiexplorer.com/ports/port-lansing.php

Also, if you are up for a driving tour of all the birding spots along
the Mississippi River:

I am leading a Madison Audubon field trip to the Mississippi River on
Nov 19th to view the migrating waterfowl.
This trip will meet at 8am at Point Lookout at Wyalusing State Park.
FYI: This is opening day of gun deer season so wear orange!
We will drive north along the river and check a bunch of spots for
waterfowl and other birds. The trip will end in La Crosse. Details on
the Madison Audubon website. Please let me know if you plan to attend.

Also, Nov 20:
I am leading an MOU field trip along the Mississippi River. This field
trip will begin at 8:30am at the Lake Onalaska overlook at the very
northern tip of French Island in La Crosse, WI. The trip will end in
Wabasha, MN at the National Eagle Center. Please let me know if you
plan on attending this trip also.

--
Happy Birding! --Chris W, Madison, WI
Interpretive Naturalist