Subject:Re: visitor ce nter in Sa x-Zim Bog — video—rece nt sightin gs
From:Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:03:46 -0700

To bad the video doesn't mention Sax-Zim Bog Winter Bird Festival.  The festival was intended and is still is protecting and bringing awareness to Sax-Zim Bog.  People from all over the United States and elsewhere have been part of the festival and we are now accepting registrations for the 2012 festival at sax-zimbog.com.  If it wasn't for the festival the communities that surround the Sax-Zim Bog would not known what is so special about the bog. The people who live in these communities are also part of the planning committee that help organize the festival.  Getting the community involve has done wonders with the relationship with visiting birders and photographers.

Also saxzimbog.com is the official web site where visiting birders & photographers can come to the web site to download maps and get a lot of information about the bog.

There are a lot of questions regarding the building once its built and ready to be used by the public.

	* Who will have the key to get into the building? Are there going to be set times during the day when its open?
	* How many people will fit in the building? Will it be first come and first serve situation?
	* Will it be built to sustain any break ins and vandalism?

	* If building is heated.. what kind of heat? Propane? Electricity? Fire place?
	* Restrooms?  That means a septic tank unless you are thinking outdoor old fashion out houses.
	* How are you going to manage photographers and non photographers at the same location.  People will be walking around and being noisy and that will disrupt photographers. I see a lot of drama here.

	* Parking.. are you going to make a parking lot too? All the back roads have some degree of traffic on them and during the winter season it will be tough to park a lot of cars on roads with no shoulders on them. If you are going to clear land for a building and then install a septic tank plus a parking lot that is a lot of habitat clearing. Plus if you go electricity that means installing hook ups as well to the site.As a frequent visitor to Sax-Zim Bog and founder of the Sax-Zim Bog Winter Bird Festival I am very concern about the building plans and the organization of how this building will be used and managed.  There is no information on the website given about building/welcome center.

Also on another thought.. the signs you see on Mark's video (Birders are welcome to Sax-Zim Bog) along CR 133 were funded by Toivola-Meadowlands Development Board which is also the steering committee of the festival.  There was no mention of that in the video as well.  Also the Duluth Audubon Society built a kiosk in downtown Meadowlands which across the street from the Catholic Church on CR 133.  There is information on the kiosk that DAS created about Sax-Zim Bog.

I am not snubbing this project but have some serious questions and maybe the MOU community on this listserv might have questions too.  Personally I do not see a need for a welcome center or any building at all in the bog but that is just my opinion.  Birders have been visiting the bog for many many years and yes restrooms are a issue but its no different than birding along Stoney River Road in northern Lake County or Hedbom Logging Rd west of Floodwood.. you take care of yourself before you go to these locations and plan it out.  Also there a lot of trees and bushes in the bog as well.  I just do not see how a welcome center will protect the bog from logging.  Also from what I know there will be very little if no logging done in the bog for some time since most of the pulp trees and thinning of the tamaracks have been logged out on Owl Avenue - McDavitt Rd - Spruce Rd - CR 133 - CR 7 and Stone Lake Rd.

I would like to see the county foresters, county representatives and state representatives from the iron range area see how important it is to save the old growth areas in the bog.  We gotten some attention from these people who thought about attending the festival but they had to cancel out for some reason or another and we plan on inviting them to the festival in 2012.

Anyway

Good birding

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota