Subject:Birds since last week
From:Jim Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Nov 2011 21:55:48 -0500

Hello birders,
Nothing too exciting to report, but I thought a brief update on the normal
birds in the area was in order, since it's all I've seen in the city lately.

On several days last week I tried really hard to turn one of the many
medium sized* Canada Geese* (Richardson's) in Pickerel lake into a *Cackling
Goose*. No luck.

However, quite a few *Wood Ducks*, a* Double-crested Cormorant*, *Great
Blue Heron*, *Bald Eagles* and *Pileated Woodpecker* were present.

Monday & Tuesday this week I had a flock of 50 or more *Cedar
Waxwings*eating hackberries in nearby trees. A dozen or so
*Robins* joined them. Careful looks at the flocks could not reveal a *Bohemian
Waxwing* amongst them or anything else of note.

Tonight, I stopped at Rogers Lake (in Mendota Heights, off Wagon Wheel
Trail) No birds at all on the lake - In all the times Ive ever stopped
there, I've never seen any birds there - does anyone know if that lake EVER
has any birds on it?

A few *Mallards* in the small marsh out front of Rogers Lake and there were
also *Robins*, a *Cardinal*, a *Junco* and the first *Tree sparrows* of the
season greeted me.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside
----
One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between Man and
Nature shall not be broken. -* Leo Tolstoy*

A well governed appetite is the greater part of liberty. - *Lucius Annaeus
Seneca*