Subject:Sherburne NWR birds - redpoll question
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Nov 2011 06:23:14 -0800

Several rusty blackbirds still present this morning, around the HQ.  Two common redpolls stopped by for about one minute, and then left.  Hope they come back and bring friends!

Reminiscing just a bit about redpolls - all those years that I worked at Tamarac NWR in Becker County - from 1986 to 2002 - and birded in the northwest, the redpolls could be counted on to erupt every other year.  One year we'd see none, the next year they'd be all over the place.  That scenario went on for a long, long time - but doesn't seem to be the case any more.  So, what happened to change it?

Betsy Beneke