Subject:Re: Birding Request
From:Fr. Paul Kammen
Date:Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:45:53 -0500

While I can understand the importance of protecting habitat, one of the
reasons I subscribe to this list is to hear from other birders where opportunities
might be found to view and photograph various birds. Last winter, a poster
kindly let us know a northern saw-whet owl was in his yard; I showed up and
other photographers were there as well and everyone was respectful.

I would hope that most people on this list are respectful of property and birds;
this past summer the location of the grosbeaks was reported, as was the
location of Whooping Cranes and I appreciated that. For me, it's helpful to
know where birds are, and I'm especially fond of owls, and would love to drive
to a spot, and take pictures from a distance. It would be rather frustrating to
have someone just say they found an owl or bird at a particular park - frankly I
don't know what the point would be of posting that at all if no one else could
enjoy it. The Purple Sandpiper was a great example of the exact location
noted, the bird being found and enjoyed.

So, my hope is in coming months the updates continue on where to find various
birds from snow buntings to waxwings to owls and that the folks on this list can
enjoy seeing these beautiful feathered friends.

Just my two cents,
Fr. Paul