Subject:Sherburne crane count
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:50:45 -0700

JUST when I thought I'd be telling you that our crane count went down, it actually went UP!  This morning our count was 6190!  Daytime crane watching has actually improved, I think, over this past week - with more birds concentrating along the north side of CR 3, and along CR 70, quite close to roads, making them easier to observe.
We suspect several factors:  We have their largest overnight roost site - St. Francis Pool - in drawdown this year, so there's room for more birds.  Also, the weather has stayed fairly mild, and farmers have yet to finish harvesting corn, so food remains abundant.
However, the 9-day deer/gun season starts on Saturday, so with hunters afield, it's very possible birds will find the commotion a reason to leave.
Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR