Subject:Re: plain-tailed wren duet research--- from Science Now
From:Steve Greenfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:52:40 -0600

I didn't pay attention to the discussion earlier this month on research on
the brain activity of duetting birds.  There were a couple of comments on
duetting in North American birds, which is rare compared to its occurrence
across families in Africa and elsewhere in the tropics.  I was aware of it
in Wrentits, but found a study where it's noted for 21 species!  Her
conclusion is that "Duetting behavior appears to have evolved at least 17
different times among North American passerines". However, this includes
casual or sporadic duetting, not just the tight and consistent singing shown
by Neotropical wrens, African barbets, etc., though Pygmy Nuthatches,
Wrentits, and Gray Catbirds are among those that  are "very precisely
timed".  Guess I need to pay more attention...

L. Benedict, J. Avian Biol. 39: 57_65, 2008

http://www.unco.edu/biology/lbenedict/Benedict%202008%20-%20Occurrence%20and
%20life%20history%20correlates%20of%20vocal%20duetting%20in%20North%20Americ
an%20passerines.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/887epw2

Stephen Greenfield

Minneapolis