Subject:North Shore/Sax-Zim Birding Weekend
From:Ben Harste <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2011 22:19:59 -0600

First I wanted to thank everybody who responded for places to bird this
weekend, but we ended up birding in Duluth and Sax-Zim bog this weekend
anyways.

Friday November 18 we went to Canal Park in the morning and looked at the
gulls there.  Fortunately for us we met Peder Svingen there who helped ID
some of the gulls we were seeing there.  Thank you to him!
Along with the normal Ring-billed and Herring Gulls there were Thayer's
Gulls and an Iceland Gull.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6373821475/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6373868521/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6373870235/in/photostream/

On Saturday November 19 we visited Sax-Zim Bog and saw a few highlights:
Rough-legged Hawk (many)
Bald Eagle (many)
Gray Jay - 2
White-winged Crossbills - 7
Northern Shrike - 2
Black-billed Magpie - 2
Snow Buntings - Along CR 7
Common Raven
Mammal highlights included a very small white Weasel sticking his head out
of the freshly fallen snow on the side of the road.  Also a Beaver keeping
the water open at his dam on Stony Lake.

On Sunday we had a few highlights both at Park Point and at French River as
we drove up the North Shore.
At the 13th St access to Duluth Harbor on Park Point we saw what we believe
to be a first-year or juvenile Glaucous Gull.  It was a very white and
large gull, any input would be appreciated.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6374029445/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6374029681/in/photostream/

Then at French River:
Rusty Blackbirds - 2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6373682433/in/photostream/
Fox Sparrow
American Robins
LINCOLN'S SPARROW - This was an absolute surprise, as this is a very late
date to see Lincoln Sparrows anywhere in Minnesota.  I only got to see the
sparrow for about 10 seconds or so before it disappeared and could not be
refound but it was a small-medium sized sparrow with a yellowish wash on
his chest and fine streaks on his chest.  I have no doubt it was a
Lincoln's Sparrow, unfortunately I did not get a picture before it flew
away.

A great weekend of birding!  Thanks to Peder Svingen for his assistance
Friday morning at Canal Park.  Also thanks to Erik Bruhnke for advice on
where to bird along the North Shore when we ran into him this weekend.

Ben Harste
Bloomington, MN