Subject:Gulling at Canal Park in Duluth, St. Louis County; 11/20
From:Alex Cruz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2011 22:49:04 -0600

"Gulled" Canal Park this Sunday afternoon from about 1230-1600 today with
breaks for lunch and non-Larid watching. Among the Herring and Ring-billed
frenzy, I was able to pick out some interesting individuals using my
fledgling gulling abilities (and new scope)--some of these species have
been previously reported. I observed gulls on the lighthouse side of park.
Here are the highlights:

   1. Iceland Gull: beautiful individual with lovely eyeshadow, 3rd winter
   bird; took photos
   2. Thayer's Gull: 1 delicately plumaged first year bird; took
   photos--thanks to Mike Hendrickson for looking at one of my photos
   3. Glaucous Gull: 2 immatures both with black-tipped pink bills. One was
   very white with little patterning (mostly light brown spots on breast); the
   other was lightly patterned with light brown marks all over. Took photos

Looking up (and still managing to avoid gull "presents"),
Alex Cruz Jr
Hennepin and Ramsey Counties